“What good is it to me if Mary gave birth to the Son of God fourteen hundred years ago and I do not also give birth to the Son of God in my time and in my culture?”—Meister Eckhardt

Friday, December 16, 2011

"That Life was the Light of Men"--John 1:4


Before anyone ever talked about Seasonal Affective Disorder, I found myself growing depressed as summer ended, the cool fall arrived, and the winter plunged us into darkness.  I hated winter.  The Winter Solstice was my hope: from the day forward, I reasoned, we would gain more light.  Through many years of personal darkness, I looked to this day for relief. 

When I lived in northern France, I remember hearing the news in December: "16 hours of daylight this month!"  "How will it be possible to live here?!" I wondered.  

But in January, the tilt of the planet meant northern France gobbled up darkness much more quickly than at Georgia's latitude.  By the end of January, we had already gained two hours, and by the Summer Solstice, I could sit outside in the light until 11.  It took me exactly one year to love that! 
 
Well, I grew up a lot in France, and have since found firmer footing, a firmer foundation, and my Hope goes a lot deeper than a calendar event! 

In a word, JESUS!!!  Whose “life was the light of men.”

Thank God not only for the light of the sun, for the Light of the World.  

 Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment